Are you the owner of the sharpest tool in the box? This year at Knives UK (24th June 2018), using a certified sharpness testing machine, Tactical Reviews will be accepting entries for ‘The Sharpest Knife’ Competition to definitively answer this question. This is both a Knife sharpening competition and an opportunity to have your knife Sharpness certified.
This will be the first of competition of its type run at a public entry show in the northern hemisphere! Don’t miss out.
Entry is free and every knife tested will be given an official sharpness score and certificate, so look out for the Knives UK ‘Sharpest Knife’ Competition, and get your edge tested.
Be sure to check out the Knives UK website for more show details, location and other competitions / demonstrations etc.
How is it measured? Using a PT50A BESS Certified sharpness tester:
The BESS ‘C’ scale of sharpness, developed by Mike Brubacher (Brubacher Edge Sharpness Scale) will be used to determine how sharp each knife edge is. The ‘Edge on Up’ PT50A tester uses a certified test media fibre and records the force required to cut it. The lower the score the better. As an example, a typical Morakniv scores around 250. See this guide:
‘The Sharpest Knife’ Competition – Knives UK 2018
- Open to all knives, custom-made or production. – No Razors allowed.
- Kitchen knives, though allowed, are NOT eligible to be overall winner (so cannot win the main prize); they have been found to have too much of an advantage, so may be entered for an honourable mention only.
- Any knife deemed not to be in the spirit of the ‘sharpest knife’ contest will be disallowed (surgical/laboratory etc.).
- Open to anyone – Professional / Maker / Amateur / User.
- Knives must be submitted either folded or sheathed, with the cutting edge covered.
- The Competition is free of charge for the participants.
- Each knife tested receives an official Sharpness Certificate.
- All knives will be returned to the owner immediately after testing/certification is complete.
- The competition opens at 10:00, and knives must be submitted for testing before 15:00 on the last day of the knife show.
- Entrant’s name, knife description, sharpening method and score will be recorded.
- Testing will be carried out using an Edge On Up PT50A BESS certified tester.
- Each knife will initially have a single measurements taken. If the result is within 50 BESS of the leading entry, further measurements may be taken (at the discretion of the tester).
- Subject to the previous rule, each qualifying knife will then have a set of three measurements taken along the blade (tip, centre and heel) with the average BESS score counting as the result.
- In the case of a draw, the lowest individual score will be used for secondary ranking. If there is still a draw, the first one tested will win.
- The tester’s results are final – No knife may be entered twice.
- A leader board will be maintained showing the top entries during the show.
- Each time there is a new leader, the knife will be photographed.
The winning knife and sharpening method will be announced at 15:30 on the last day of the knife show and on TacticalReviews.co.uk
IMPORTANT: You undertake the competition (and the taking of any prize) at your own risk and your health and safety is your own responsibility. By taking part in this competition, you agree to indemnify the organisers and their agents against all costs, losses, damages, expenses and liabilities suffered as a result of your participation. No liability can be accepted for damage to any knife entered.
Prizes (all subject to availability – no cash alternative)
- Every entry wins an official sharpness certificate for the knife – Please retain this certificate as proof of your entry, it will be required when collecting your prize.
- Any knife achieving an average BESS score lower than 100 will receive a prize.
- There is one main prize for the winning entry. (Full prize only available to a winner aged 18 or over.)
- Prizes are for collection in person only when the results are announced. (The prize may be awarded to the best scoring entrant present when the results are announced at the discretion of the organiser.)
The Main Prize
Main Prize is made up of several items forming a bundle worth over £300, and contains:
Full prize only available to a winner aged 18 or over – if the winner is less than 18 years old the prize will be adjusted to be age appropriate.
Knives – Morakniv Eldris Firestarter and Mora 510 Carbon special edition
Lights – Jetbeam RRT2 Tactical (plus 4x CR123), Foursevens Quark Smart QSL-X, and 5.11 Tactical S+R H6 Headlamp
Patches – Exclusive Tactical Reviews, European Blade Magazine, Chris Reeve Knives, Burnley Knives
Pins – JimmyPie, Spyderco
Stickers – Spyderco, Spartan Blades
Headphone accessory – Surefire Earlocks
Temporary Tattoo – Tactical Reviews
Sharpening Guides – Wedgek (previously Angleguide) for flat stones and round rods.